Celebrating 75 years of Christ-centered education.
It was the summer of 1941. A group of of Wheaton College professors and interested parents met in Wheaton to discuss "the urgent need of distinctively Christian instruction in the plastic young lives of early school age." The meeting did not originate with a dissatisfaction in public school eduation. Rather, those who met desired that the Bible be taught as a part of the curriculum of the school. Subsequent meetings led to plans for an official organization: The Wheaton Society for Christian Instruction, instituted in January of 1942.
School opened in Wheaton Bible Church on September 8, 1942, with teacher Ruby Lindblad in charge of 15 children, grades 1-6. Over the next 9 years, the WCGS enrollment grew, teachers were added, and classes were moved from local churches to local homes.
In September, 1951, WCGS opened a newly-constructed campus at 530 E. Harrison Avenue, Wheaton with 147 students and seven teachers under the leadership of Miss Mary Ross, principal.
Subsequent additions in 1957, 1964, and 1977 allowed for the expanding student population in a community experiencing rapid growth. Current head of school, Stephen E. Clum, joined the school in 1974 as a teacher and coach, and later became assistant principal and then principal. After serving as principal from 1987 to 2007, he assumed his current head of school post. Along with assistant principal and counselor Roger Burgess, he celebrated 40 years of service at WCGS in 2014.
During the years 1998 to 2003, mobile classrooms were added in the west parking area to accommodate the still-growing student population. The Opening Doors capital campaign was initiated to provide a new school building to support student growth and state-of-the-art technology. After a groundbreaking in March 2009 at a thirty-five acre parcel of land in nearby Winfield, construction commenced and was completed in time for the 2010-2011 school year to begin at 1N350 Taylor Drive in Winfield. The final days of school on Harrison Avenue and the cornerstone ceremony at the under-construction campus were celebrated on May 15, 2010, with an event entitled "One Day. Two Buildings. Countless Reasons to Praise God." The new school's dedication took place on August 22, 2010.
In June 2008, Wheaton Christian Grammar School was granted full accreditation by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). In February 2009, accreditation was granted by AdvancED (NCA CASI).
(Historical material found in Wheaton Christian Grammar School: Training and nurturing children for godliness and excellence © 2006 by Wheaton Christian Grammar School. Ramona Cramer Tucker, ed. Used by permission.)